This Saturday is our next recycling day – 10am to noon at Ngaio Union Church, Crofton Road.
Over that few months, there has been some change in what we are collecting so there is a full update below, but first a couple of requests for everyone to follow:
How to recycle with us
- If your recycling can go in the roadside collection – please use that.
- From time to time we pick up recycling that is left at the church door. That is fine if you can not get to the hall during recycling hours, but only leave there on Saturday morning, make sure it is secure (will not blow away), and that items are separated.
- Please separate the plastic lids into type 2 and type 5. Anything not marked, or other numbers will not be accepted for recycling
- Tetrapaks have turned into our biggest collection by volume – please make sure they are clean and dry, and if possible slit open and laid flat
- These instructions are to help everyone – recycling is not just throwing out rubbish – following the simple instructions above means less work for our volunteers and makes life more pleasant (there have been some nasty surprises amongst the tetrapaks!)
What we take each month includes:
- Plastic lids type 2. These lids must be marked with the type 2 recycling symbol.
- Plastic lids type 5. These lids must be marked with the type 5 recycling symbol.
- Metal Lids etc –including for eg Crown caps, metal screw tops, sparkling wine wires, metal jar lids, ring-pull caps.
- Household and hearing aid batteries.
- Oral care products and packaging from Colgate (is sent back to Colgate). Does not include electric toothbrush heads).
- Curtains – must be mould free so they can be re-purposed.
- Wool balls of wool which Crafty Volunteers, can use in their knitting for charity.
- Rubber bands from delivered Dominion Posts
We can no longer take (but are looking for future options)
- Pens etc
- Razors and shaving equipment
- Bread bag tags
Each month we have one additional collection (so we can handle what comes in) so plan ahead for these collections for the rest of the year:
|Saturday 5 August||Food Grade Silicon|
|Saturday 2 September||Ewaste (small and medium devices and appliances excluding TVs and monitors).|
|Saturday 7 October||Coffee Capsules – Start collecting your coffee capsules for recycling. We will be accepting capsules which are sent to three separate programmes, so they will need to be separated into these three lots:|
– Nescafé® Dolce Gusto®
– L’OR, Moccona, illy or Jed’s coffee